Saturday School of Community Languages

Connection Diversity Excellence

Telephone02 7814 2115


Some of the questions we are frequently asked.

First day at Saturday School of Community Languages

What do I bring with me on my first day?

Bring your letter confirming your enrolment which you will receive from your home school SSCL coordinator. Bring an exercise book and your pencil case. It may also be helpful to bring along a dictionary if you have one. You will receive additional information at the centre from your classroom teacher.


Do I need to wear a uniform?

No, you don't need to wear your school uniform to the Saturday School. You should wear appropriate clothing and sensible footwear. Thongs, singlets and midriff tops are not appropriate school wear.

Canteen or food

What canteen facilities are available?

There are no canteen facilities available and students are not allowed to leave school grounds during their time at school. Year 11 and 12 students should bring their own food for the 15 minute recess break.

Lateness and absences

What do I do if I am late?

If you are late, you should report to the Saturday School office before you go to class. You will be asked to add your name and details to the centre late book and you will be provided with a late note to hand to your teacher when you go to class.

What do I do when I need to leave early to attend an appointment?

If you cannot schedule an appointment outside Saturday School class times, you must bring a note from your parent/caregiver indicating the reason for your request to leave early, such as to attend a doctor's appointment. This note must be given to the Saturday School office before your class commences. You will be issued with an early leave pass which you must present to your teacher at the beginning of the lesson.

What do I do when I'm absent?

On the first Saturday of your return, you must give your classroom teacher a note signed by your parent/caregiver explaining your absence. Your note should be written in English and include your full name, class, date/s of absence and reason for absence. If you are going to be absent for more than one week, your parent/caregiver should call the Saturday School to advise of your absence.

What do I do if I am going on extended leave?

If you are going to be on extended leave, you should notify the Saturday School office in writing as soon as the dates of your absence are known. You should also supply a copy of the same documentation you have provided to your weekday school. You will need to ask for the work that will be completed while you are away so you can keep up to date with all of the learning activities.

Assessment tasks

What do I do when I miss an assessment task?

If you are going to miss an assessment task, you should make sure you carefully follow all of the steps outlined in your assessment booklet.

This includes calling the centre supervisor to advise them of your absence and then making sure you provide evidence to explain your absence on the first Saturday of your return.

Change of circumstances

What do I do if I change my school/home address/phone number?

If any of your contact details change, you must advise the centre in writing so your file is updated. If you change schools, you must also inform us so we know where to mail important school documents, such as your half-yearly and yearly reports.

What do I do if I want to change centres?

If you wish to transfer to a different centre, you must provide a written request signed by a parent/caregiver. We can only accommodate a request to transfer if there is a place available in the class at the centre you wish to attend. In the case of Year 12 students, you cannot usually transfer to another centre once you have completed the first term of the HSC course.

More information about course

Where can I find useful information about the course I am studying?

You should visit the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) website to obtain the current syllabus for your course.

If you are in Years 11 or 12, you may also wish to obtain more information about the ATAR by visiting the Universities Admission Centre website.