Students seeking to enrol must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. The student must be enrolled in a public or non-government secondary school or TAFE college at the time of study at SSCL
2. The language requested must be the student’s heritage/ background community language
3. The language requested must not be available for study at the student’s weekday school in the year requested. (Exemption from this eligibility requirement may be made in special circumstances at the discretion of the SSCL Principal)
Students seeking to enrol in Stage 6 Asian Language in Context (formerly Heritage) courses must also satisfy NESA’s eligibility requirements:
1. The student must not have had any formal education in a school where the language of the course requested is the medium of instruction beyond the year in which the student turns 10 years of age (typically Year 4 or 5 of primary education)
* Speakers of dialects and variants of a language (e.g. Hokkien, Cantonese, Shanghainese) are considered to be speakers of the standard language (e.g. Mandarin).
Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements for Language in Context courses are advised to apply for the Language and Literature course.
Prospective students are encouraged to visit the NESA website to read more and access case studies.
How to enrol
When you’re ready to enrol your child in our school, contact us. You may need to attend an interview with the principal. There you can discuss any medical conditions or other special circumstances before your child starts school. We may also complete a risk assessment on the enrolment.